Probably dating from 1862, this is the earliest known easterly view of Cashel Street from the High Street intersection.
To the Left is the provincial government's Customs building, to its Right is the seed shop of the market gardener William Wilson, who would become the city's first Mayor. The large oval roofed building is the horse bazaar and auction rooms of William David Barnard, a Christchurch Municipal Councillor from 1868.
Known as Tattersall's Auction Rooms, it would become H. Matson and Company. Replaced by the Tattersalls Hotel in 1900, it's the site of a car park building in 2008. Beyond the auction rooms is the Saddlery of Archibald Admore. Further on to the corner of Manchester Street are first generation buildings in what was the 1851 garden of Captain Richard Westenra, earliest New Zealand forebear of the renowned Hayley Westenra.
To the far Right at the corner of the extant Kiver's Lane is the 1860 grocery store and bakery of Charles Kiver (1816-1882).
William Barnard's premises with an auction in progress
Although there were two commercial photographers known to be operating in Christchurch by 1856, there are as yet no known streetscapes of the city before 1859. By the time that the above photographs were taken there were fifteen photographers listed in Christchurch.