Feb 12, 2008

Christchurch 1953 & 2008

Opposite the Canterbury Provincial Council buildings on the West side of Durham Street between Armagh and Gloucester Streets in 1953 and 2008.

Amuri Motors was the local agents for Studebaker and the British Standard and Triumph cars, which were assembled at the NZ Motor Assemblies Ltd factory on the South side of Tuam Street at the Fitzgerald Avenue corner.

Built on the site Doctor Edward Jennings' ostentatious Otakaro House before 1918, the garage first appears in a 1928 streetscape, at which time the business was the agency for the American Dodge Brothers automobiles.

Demolished in 1965, the old name survives as the Amuri Courts building.

No comments: